This is a short update to advise you on how the process for seeking a new senior pastor takes place, as we search for who will lead our church into the next phase of its walk with Christ as Pastor Jim leaves us in October.
The process has five key steps:
- Search – The church board pray into what God’s vision and plans are for the church in the future, and the leader that is needed for those plans. The board then consider candidates, both within our district but also potentially further afield or outwith the denomination. Following this, interviews or discussions may be held with appropriate individuals to discern if they are a good fit for the church, and that similarly the church is a good fit for them.
- Nomination – The board must vote with a 2/3 majority in favour of a particular candidate to nominate them as a candidate for senior pastor. At this point their candidacy will be declared more widely to the church.
- Election – The church congregation will listen to the candidate preach, and find out a bit more about them as a person and their heart for the Lord and His church. After this the congregation votes, with a 2/3 majority required to call the candidate to become senior pastor.
- Call – The candidate is called to take on the role of senior pastor, they have two weeks to respond to the call
- Induction – At the earliest opportunity after the candidate takes up their position an Induction Service is held to give thanks and to pray for them and their leadership in the years ahead.
Obviously due to covid some of these steps may look a little different to how things would run in normal circumstances, many steps that would normally be face to face may have to be remote or online. We are seeking guidance from the Board of General Superintendents on guidance for how a congregational ballot should be run should this be required before face to face meetings are permitted.
Please pray for the church and particular the board at this time, for wisdom and discernment as they seek the right candidate to lead our church forward.